The Nurture of Nature

Having grown tired of waiting in line at the post office, (Those things still exist!) I decided that I could use a walk. And my, what a walk it was. 


The only word that comes to mind when I recall this experience is real. Quite extraordinary, yet very real. 

Having been cooped up for the most part within my house owing to the pandemic, the graces of the environment embraced my form with vigour. My perception was instantly amplified. 

The warmth of sunlight as it touched my grateful skin. The air! Fresh oxygen outside the windows is the very definition of the quality of life. It awakens the lungs just as a baby's joy rouses one's lips, every breath a boon. A scent by any other name simply isn't as sweet. 

The vibrant palette of nature that I observed myself smiling at, rejuvenating my senses. Flowers of the shades of unabashed fuchsia and honeyed amber. 

And of course, generous hues of green all around. Tall neem trees and bamboos boasting of rich leaves that seemed sharp as knives. Words alone cannot describe texture. They danced gloriously to the breeze, wavering as though they were preparing themselves to take flight. 

Fresh dew having been sprinkled over the surface from the previous night's rain, sparkling as the rays from the heavens beamed upon them. 

Crows that bore cunning eyes of the darkest shade, hovering over my head as they scoured the land for morsels of food. 

The olive puddles that had ventured deep beneath the streets, daring humans to cross without muddying themselves. 

The earth beneath held firm as it had for millennia, my toes perfectly balanced as they explored its skin. A shockingly crimson centipede crawling across the ground beneath, a proud armour of ebony on its sides.

 A vast horizon trailing over my shoulders with clouds of serenity that sailed past their friends, wispy as cotton candy. 

Stress and inhibitions seeped away from my mind as I basked in the comfort that this land showered upon me, a blanket of peace sheathing my thoughts as it gently nudged me to stay a while longer.

This is the real life and yet also a fantasy. 

Humans can think of seven wonders, but the wonders of nature are infinite. Our settlements and vehicles have done little to tarnish the awe that the world offers, though we admittedly do try pretty hard. The bounty of resources that it has amply given us is not for our species alone, and certainly not merely for one generation or two. We may take what we require to fulfil our needs, but just as we leave the extra slice of cake on the plate for our friends rather than be selfish, we should consider the beating heart of all essence and resist our impulses for luxury and greed. Every impulse you quell makes a difference to conserve the vital landscape of this earth.

Next time you find yourself in the outside world, maybe take a few minutes to pay some attention and take it all in. Nature's laughter is a secret that whispers to you that the best experiences in life are truly free.

Comments

Popular Posts